Now for the fun part!
Pick the right time for your bath. Prepare your bath on a day when you have at least 40 minutes available. Pick a time when you can relax and focus on your detox bath without feeling rushed.
Create a relaxing atmosphere. Dim the lights and light candles if you desire. You can also play some music you enjoy. Take smooth deep breaths to help your mind enter a relaxed state.
Fill your bath. Use a chlorine filter if possible to fill your tub with comfortably hot water. Add Epsom Salt. Soaking in Epsom Salt helps replenish your body's magnesium level, combating hypertension. The sulfate flushes toxins and helps form proteins in brain tissue and joints.
- For children under 60 lbs, add 1/2 cup to a standard bath.
- For children 60 lbs to 100 lbs, add 1 cup to a standard bath.
- For people 100 lbs and up, add 2 cups or more to a standard bath.
Add 1 to 2 cups baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Baking soda is known for its cleansing ability and anti-fungal properties. It also leaves skin very soft.
Add 1/4 cup Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt. Composed of magnesium, potassium, calcium chloride, and bromides, Sea Salt helps to replenish minerals critical to our skin's metabolism.
- Magnesium is important for combating stress, fluid retention, slowing skin aging, and calming the nervous system.
- Calcium is effective at preventing water retention, increasing circulation, and strengthening bones and nails.
- Potassium energizes the body and helps to balance skin moisture.
- Bromides act to ease muscle stiffness and relax muscles.
- Sodium is important for the lymphatic fluid balance (this in turn is important for immune system function).
Add 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar. Packed full of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the best ways to cleanse your body of bacteria and boost your immune system.
Add essential oils. Some oils, like Lavender and Ylang Ylang, have therapeutic properties. Tea tree and eucalyptus oils can assist in the detoxification process. Around 20 drops is sufficient for a standard bath.
- If you prefer, you can use fresh herbs. Add mint leaves, lavender flowers, chamomile, or anything else that suits your mood.
- Adding ginger can help you to sweat out the toxins. Ginger is heating, so be careful with the amount you add. Depending on your sensitivity, anywhere from 1 tablespoon to 1/3 cup can be added.
Swish all of the ingredients around. You can use your foot to swirl the water in the tub. When the baking soda and vinegar mix, a bubbling reaction will occur.
- You don't need to mix until all the salt crystals dissolve before beginning your bath.
Soak for 20 to 40 minutes. Hydrate during your soak and take care not to overheat.
- Drink water during the first 20 minutes of your soak.
- You will notice yourself start sweating after just a few minutes in your detox bath. This is your body expelling toxins.
- If you start to feel too hot during your soak, add cool water to the tub until you are comfortable.
Relax. Meditation is a great way to calm your body during a detox bath. Breathing through the nose, loosen your neck, face, hands, and stomach area. Relax and soften each part of your body. Consciously releasing body tension will help you relax in your detox bath.
- Once you close the bathroom door, leave all unwanted thoughts outside. Let go of worries and stress.
- Visualize the toxins exiting your body and the vitamins and nutrients entering in their place.
Get out of the tub slowly. Your body has been working hard and you may get lightheaded or feel weak and drained. Oils and salts can also make your tub slippery, so stand with care.
- Wrap your body in a soft blanket or towel immediately after getting out of the tub, you can continue to detoxify through perspiration for another couple of hours.
Rehydrate. Any time your body detoxes you need to replace fluids. It is recommended that you drink an additional liter of water following your detox.
After the bath, brush your skin down again. You can use your hands, a loofah, or a vegetable bristle brush. This can further aid with the release of toxins. Use long, gentle sweeping strokes aimed toward the heart.
Relax for the rest of the day and allow your body to continue to detoxify.
I feel such an amazing difference after these baths and I hope that you will enjoy them too!